The WINGS Program, Inc. (Women in Need Growing Stronger) works to end domestic violence and homelessness in Chicago’s suburbs. As you may know, their resale store in Palatine, IL was destroyed in a devastating fire caused by an electrical storm in June of 2010. The store generated nearly $500,000 a year for programs that serve homeless women and children. To help rebuild their store, WINGS has entered the Pepsi Refresh Everything online contest in a bid to win $250,000.
How you can help:
1. Log in and vote online EVERY DAY through August 31 on the Pepsi Refresh Contest page: http://www.refresheverything.com/wingsprogram
2. Become a fan of the WINGS Program on Facebook by clicking “Like”: http://www.facebook.com/wingsprograminc?v=wall&ref=nf
3. Forward this blog post to your family, friends, co-workers, classmates, neighbors, club/organization/faith community members, etc.
4. Encourage your Facebook friends to become fans of WINGS (click “Suggest to Friends” under the logo on the page).
5. Post the Pepsi Refresh Contest link on your blog, Twitter feed, personal website, other social networking sites, message boards, – everywhere you can.
Thank you for your support!
Since 1985, WINGS (Women in Need Growing Stronger) has offered shelter, counseling, and supportive services to women and children who have experienced homelessness or domestic violence. Families come to WINGS with little more than the clothes on their backs. They need safe housing and the help of caring professionals to rebuild their lives. In contrast to most shelter programs in our area, WINGS gets less than 20% of our budget from government.
To meet our clients’ urgent needs, WINGS established a chain of successful thrift shops that now provide a third of our annual income. Then disaster struck on June 19, 2010. Our shop in Palatine, IL caught fire during an electrical storm and burned to the ground. Fortunately no one was injured, but the store — which had been our highest-netting resale location — was a total loss. Insurance will help us pay off the mortgage, but we will need new funds to rebuild.
Please vote now to help WINGS rise from the ashes and take flight! Thank you.